Updates and Information
MACPHAIL RESPONSE TO CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19)
Last updated July 20, 2020
New at MacPhail Center for Music
Teaching music online is not new at MacPhail. Live Online lessons at MacPhail began in 2011 and now thousands of classes take place online each year.
If you are interested in learning more about online at MacPhail or would like to start live online lessons as you shelter in place, the JumpStart package is designed for you. Simply fill out a student profile form and you can begin a package of 4 lessons offered at 25% off. One package per student. Valid for new students only. Subject to instructor/instrument availability.
MacPhail K12@Home Spring Semester 2020 ends on Friday, May 22. Please check back for summer programing.
MacPhail School Partnership Program has launched a new program for students sheltering in place called MacPhail K-12@Home. The program is offered at no charge for any students registered in a Minnesota school (K-12) and provides live streamed music classes Monday-Friday. Offerings change weekly. The program also provides resources for music educators.
Individual and Group Lessons
Fall Semester Plan
Fall Semester registration process will begin on August 10. Course information will be available when registration opens.
Registration letters for Individual Lessons, Suzuki and Music Therapy will be sent to student home addresses.
Programs continuing Online Instruction in the Fall Semester (September through January) include:
- Individual Lessons
- Suzuki Lessons and Group classes
- Music Therapy
- Sing Play Learn with MacPhail®
- All vocal and singing activities (lessons and groups)
Program offerings returning to In-Person Instruction include:
- Small instrumental ensembles
- Chamber Music groups
- Occasional Suzuki performance groups
- Select MacPhail Music for Life classes
All In-person offerings will take place in classrooms and Antonello Hall to allow for 6-8 feet of physical distancing.
Also, the instruments allowed in the groups will be limited to:
- Piano, strings, guitar, harp and percussion
- Woodwinds (except flute) and brass will be allowed in Antonello Hall only
Note: Any student wishing to participate via Online in these group offerings may do so.
Summer Semester Plan
- All instruction will be conducted online.
- Summer Camp 2020 will be delivered virtually. Details and descriptions.
- Sing Play Learn with MacPhail® classes and summer camps will be delivered virtually for Summer 2020. Details and sample video on the SPL web page.
Performances and Recitals
One of the roles of MacPhail Center for Music has always been to be a place where people can gather around music. We will continue this work through live online lessons, eLearning and virtual performances, providing opportunities for you to engage and connect. We look forward to serving you in person, welcoming back our faculty and staff, and to re-opening our doors to our community and all the wonderful music that happens when we get together.
All MacPhail Center for Music LIVE performances are cancelled through Summer 2020. Check back for Fall 2020 performance plans. Student performances are taking place online, students should consult with their teacher or Jon Iverson at Iverson.Jon@macphail.org, Student Performance coordinator, regarding online performance opportunities. Check MacPhail On Demand for recorded performance. More will be added throughout the Spring and Summer.
- Music Matters Luncheon, originally scheduled for April 28, has gone virtual. To watch the three Music Matters videos go to Macphail.org
- MacPhail Spotlight Series: Check back for details on the 2020-21 Spotlight Season.
- Family Music Series: the Bazillions concert on May 3 moved to a virtual recorded platform. Please go to our On Demand Performance page to watch this fun family concert.
- Spring II Honors Recital- moved to a virtual platform. The performance can be watched at MacPhail On Demand.
- Achievement Day- moved online.
(Updated July 20, 2020)
MacPhail Summer Camps and Programs Notice: COVID-19
MacPhail Summer Camps have moved online. Registration is now open.
If you have not received a refund for your in-person 2020 Summer camp registration, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com
The health and safety of all members of the MacPhail Center for Music community is our top priority.
During this closure, we are working behind the scenes to expand protocols and practices that include social distancing, enhanced cleaning and sanitizing, and adapted programming. Our decision as to when and how to reopen will based on recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Governor Walz’s Directives, Minnesota Department of Public Health, local health officials and the MacPhail Sr. leadership team. We will keep you updated along the way.
For the most up-to-date information on COVID-19 and its spread, please refer to the situation pages available through the CDC and the Minnesota Department of Health.
Check back for updates.
Student Resources for E-Learning: