Course - Madeline Island - Summer 2023
Adult Strings Retreat on Madeline Island: Aug 5-8
Are you an adult string player and a nature enthusiast? If so, the Adult Strings Retreat on Madeline is right for you! During this four-day retreat, adult recreational string players will have the opportunity to work with MacPhail’s outstanding string faculty members, connect with other adult students, and commune with the beautiful natural beauty of Madeline Island.
There are two tracks to choose from:
1) Chamber Music for intermediate and advanced players. In the chamber music track, participants will be paired up with other ensemble members to work on string chamber repertoire.
2) String Orchestra for beginning and intermediate players. In the String Orchestra track, participants will rehearse string orchestra repertoire with a leader.
Participants interested in the Chamber Music track should submit a recent video of their playing so ensembles can be arranged according to playing ability. Participants interested in the String Orchestra will automatically be placed in a string ensemble.
Repertoire will be determined in advance of the retreat, and all participants will be notified in advance. Participants should practice their parts to the best of their ability and be ready for rehearsals. A small, low-pressure “share-formance” will conclude the retreat.
Boarding is available in the MacPhail on Madeline Island lodges. These buildings feature screened porches, lounges, and kitchenettes. Dorm rooms are shared between two students (limited private rooms available for an additional fee) and are equipped with shelving, wardrobes, and air conditioning. Lodges feature two levels – the second floor is accessible by stairway only, so please note any mobility limitations upon registration. Communal bathrooms on each floor have shared sinks outside the restroom area, and a walk-in shower, sink and toilet that are housed in a separate room that is secured with a door.
Please note that there are 3 separate locations for activities. Dorms & practice rooms/small ensemble spaces are grouped together in one location, and the dining hall and performance space are in separate locations. Transportation between sites on the island may be necessary as they are not closely walkable.
Participants are responsible for their own transportation to Madeline Island. Participants are encouraged to carpool; MacPhail is willing to help facilitate sharing contact information with others who want to carpool. MacPhail will also be providing a rental van to help transport students (and/or instruments) from Minneapolis to Madeline Island. Parking is limited on the island, and there are ferry fees both per vehicle and passengers. Transportation between sites on the island may be necessary as they are not closely walkable.
- All Inclusive (Includes classes, lodging, meals & activities) = $1,150
- Commuter Rate (Includes classes & activities only) = $555
- Programming + Food package (includes classes & activities + meals) = $1,000
- OPTIONAL – Private dorm room (limited spots available) = $200
- OPTIONAL – Transportation package* (includes round trip between MacPhail Center for Music and Madeline Island, plus transportation on the island during the institute) = $200 per passenger
- OPTIONAL – Companion/Partner Food & Lodging Only (limited spots available) = $595
*Participants choosing to provide their own transportation will incur all expenses, including the fee for the ferry.
Registration Deadline: Wednesday, June 21, 2023
A 100% refund will be issued if a written (or email) cancellation notice is issued prior to June 21, 2023. After the June 21, 2023, registration deadline, no refunds will be issued.
Saturday-Tuesday, August 5-8, on Madeline Island
|Age Range:||19 years - 55+ years|
|Course Type:||Course Package|
|Program Method:||Summer Camps|
|Programs:||Camps, MacPhail on Madeline Island|
|Instruments:||Cello, Violin, Viola|