Caring for the MacPhail community.
We all play a role in helping keep each other safe. With the health of our students, faculty, and staff as our top priority, we will continue using the latest CDC and MDH to inform our protocols and will communicate regularly as our policies evolve. MacPhail is committed to helping our community work and play confidently with a rigorous focus on health and safety.
Updated August 31, 2021
What We Are Doing
Keeping Our Air Clean
MacPhail’s Minneapolis, Apple Valley, and Chanhassen HVAC systems have been upgraded to state-of-the-art ultraviolet cleaning systems which kills viruses and bacteria each time air is changed in a room.
The air change over at a higher rate per hour than required by the CDC for clinical settings.
MacPhail’s Austin has a brand new HVAC system.
Establishing Guidelines for Safe Music Instruction
Masking will be required at all times for faculty, staff, students and guests.
- This includes those who are fully vaccinated and those who are not vaccinated.
- This includes all activities – lessons, classes, rehearsals and performances*.
We ask that you maintain a physical distance of 3 feet (minimum).
*Performers may unmask while performing, keeping a 12 foot distance between performer and audience.
Keeping Faculty & Staff Healthy
All MacPhail faculty and staff are required to be fully-vaccinated*.
Masks are required of all faculty, staff, and partners while inside a MacPhail facility.
We follow the latest state and federal guidance for risk assessment, disease prevention/tracking, and protection of public spaces and workplaces.
*except for those exempt for medical or religious reasons
What You Can Do
Students and guests are asked to stay home if:
- You are experiencing COVID-like symptoms such as a dry cough, fever, difficulty breathing, chills, sore throat, muscle aches, and/or loss of taste or smell.
- You had close contact with someone with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 in the last 14 days.
- You are self-isolating or self-quarantining because you may have been exposed to a person with COVID-19 or are worried that you may be sick with COVID-19.
Limit Time in the Building
Students and guests will be encouraged to self-monitor their time in the buildings and limit gathering in common areas of the building.
Please plan ahead, when possible, to limit restroom use.
Vending machines are unavailable and food is not allowed in post-performance receptions.
Limit Family Members in the Building
Students and families will be requested to limit the number of family members accompanying a student to their lesson or class.
Performances in Antonello Hall
- All audience members will be required to follow the above protocols including wearing a mask at all times and not entering the building if they have any COVID symptoms.
- Chairs will be placed 4 feet apart from center.
- Capacity is reduced to 50% (maximum of 120 people).
- Distance between performance area and audience will be a minimum of 12 feet.
- To provide flexibility for seating and spacing, the Antonello Hall floor will remain flat (no pit for tiered seating) through December 31, 2021.
Music Lessons Online at MacPhail
Teaching music online is not new at MacPhail. Live Online lessons at MacPhail began in 2011 and now thousands of classes take place online each year.
Our students and faculty report amazing results with online instruction. In addition to online being a greener option that reduces carbon emissions, it requires less investment of time, and helps students focus and retain information.
If you are interested in learning more about online instruction at MacPhail or would like to start live online lessons, the JumpStart package is designed for you. Simply fill out a Student Placement Form and you can begin a package of 4 lessons offered at 25% off. One package per student. Valid for new students only. Subject to instructor/instrument availability.
For the most up-to-date information on COVID-19 and its spread, please refer to the situation pages available through the CDC and the Minnesota Department of Health.
For questions or concerns about MacPhail’s COVID-19 guidelines, please contact us at email@example.com.