MacPhail Northside Youth Orchestra (MNYO) is a tuition-free symphonic orchestra program in North Minneapolis. We believe in the transformational power of music, and strive to create a welcoming space that encourages musical growth and development. Our ensemble rehearses on Saturday afternoons from 1-3 p.m.
How do I join?
The Pre-requisites for MNYO:
- Students must be entering grades 7-12 and have at least 1 year of previous experience playing their instrument (either in individual lessons or in a school program).
- Students should also have access to an instrument (permission from school to bring their instrument to rehearsals and for home practice).
- Students must audition on one of the following instruments: Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon, Trumpet, French Horn, Trombone, Tuba, Percussion, Violin, Viola, Cello or Double Bass.
What should I expect if I join MNYO?
- Students in our ensemble range from mid-beginner to late-intermediate level. We encourage mentoring friendship amongst our orchestra members.
- Students should plan on attending rehearsals weekly and taking their music home for additional practice
- Most rehearsals will include a full orchestra rehearsal, sectionals, bucket drumming and other enrichment activities, including guest artist visits from the Minnesota Orchestra
- MNYO performs 3-6 times in a school year, mostly between January-May.
Rehearsals take place at the Ascension Club Building, 1704 Dupont Ave N.
Select photos by Steve Cohen of MPR, used with permission.
MNYO depends on the generous contributions of individuals and the following foundations:
George Family Foundation
Carlson Family Foundation
David B. Gold Foundation