Original Prelude components:
- Everything from Renaissance to Musical Theater to Opera to Jazz
- Emphasis on a cappella repertoire and ear training
- Sight-singing, theory, rhythmic and interpretive skills
Performance Lab: Voice Work, Acting, Movement for Singers
- Addressing unique challenges of singer actors
- Step-by-step approaches with gesture, face, focus, body, addresses tension, through structured play/self-discovery
- Solo repertoire techniques applied in Vocal Arts with scenes from Opera and Musical Theater
- Collaborative improvisation work in creative storytelling
- Develop a portfolio of repertoire for auditions; duets and trios second semester
- Coaching with collaborative pianists
- Foster a strong community of student musicians and a supportive collaborative environment for individual growth.
- Complement the musical instruction being offered in private studios and to support and facilitate performance skills for high school choral and musical theater programs.
- Systematically weave together scientific and creative processes.
- Nurture talent at an exceptional level through all disciplines of the singing actor.
Get Started Today!
Singer-Actor Performance Lab is a year-long program (September-May). A written application begins the process.
Step 1: Download the Prelude Application for 2020-21
Step 2: Submit application by email to Manon Gimlett at firstname.lastname@example.org. (Brief essay (250 words) and teacher recommendations may also be sent to this address.)
The final round of auditions is September 12, between 2 and 4 p.m. and deadline to submit one is September 10. Applications are being accepted now. For those who prefer to audition right away: individual appointments are being scheduled at your convenience.
Once we have received your application we will email you to set up a 5-minute audition/interview, and direct you to Student Services to pay the $20 application fee. The auditions will be done on Zoom, so you will receive a meeting code to click on, with password. Be prepared to wait just a few minutes in the “waiting room.” We look forward to hearing you!
Tuition for 2020-2021 is $650 per semester. For information about financial assistance applications please call Student Services at 612-321-0100.
Manon Gimlett – Founder and Director
Thaxter Cunio – Music Director
Paul Kovacovic – Collaborative Pianist
Ryan Underbakke – Prelude Faculty
Bryon Wilson – Collaborative Pianist
Scholarships and Financial Aid
To apply for financial aid, please complete the Financial Aid Form.
Performance scholarships are awarded based on Prelude Auditions. The following scholarships are awarded on an annual basis.
Elinor Watson Bell Preparatory Program Endowment, created in 1991 by MacPhail board member Elinor Watson Bell (1911-2002). A gifted pianist and lifelong advocate of the arts, Elinor served on the boards of the Minnesota Orchestral Association, the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra and MacPhail. The first student to receive a scholarship in her honor was MacPhail Preparatory Program and violin student Emilia Mettenbrink in 1995.
Lillian Vail Scholarship, created in 1989 by Robin Withington in honor of her aunt, Lillian Vail, who taught dance at MacPhail for 43 years. She was a former vaudeville dancer who performed on Broadway and was friends with the actor Rudolph Valentino, comic George Burns and actor Archibald Leach (aka Cary Grant).
Henry H. Wade Scholarship, created in 1992 by Henry H. Wade at his death based on his long love of music and his desire to encourage students who are wishing to pursue a career in music.
(Photos by Tracy Dunne)