MacPhail Northside Youth Orchestra (MNYO)
A tuition-free symphonic orchestra program in North Minneapolis
We believe in the transformational power of music, and strive to create a welcoming space that encourages musical growth and development.
Welcome to MNYO!!! We look forward to seeing old friends and hoping to meet new ones!
Our 2nd retreat to Madeline Island was incredible, we hope you will join us this year so that we can all enjoy being on Madeline Island again next summer!
The audition for the fall semester is on Sat. Oct 7th (1~2:30pm). You may sign up for an audition spot by contacting Chi-Chi Bestmann, our conductor, at [email protected].
Please check the Audition Requirements for what to prepare. Our very 1st rehearsal will be on Sat. Oct 14th (from 1~3pm).
Can’t wait to see you all!
Chi-Chi Lin Bestmann, Artistic Director and Conductor
The Pre-requisites for MNYO
- Students must be entering grades 7-12 and have at least 1 year of previous experience playing their instrument (either in individual lessons or in a school program).
- Students should also have access to an instrument (permission from school to bring their instrument to rehearsals and for home practice).
- Students must audition on one of the following instruments: Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon, Trumpet, French Horn, Trombone, Tuba, Percussion, Violin, Viola, Cello or Double Bass.
What to Expect
- Students in our ensemble range from mid-beginner to late-intermediate level. We encourage mentoring friendship amongst our orchestra members.
- Students should plan on attending rehearsals weekly and taking their music home for additional practice
- Most rehearsals will include a full orchestra rehearsal, sectionals, bucket drumming and other enrichment activities, including guest artist visits from the Minnesota Orchestra
- MNYO performs 3-6 times in a school year, mostly between January-May.
photos by Jen Bischoff (jenwithalens.com), used with permission
MNYO Calendar 2023-24
September 16 – Open Streets
October 7 – Auditions
October 21 – MEA (no rehearsal)
November 25 – Thanksgiving (no rehearsal)
December 23 to 30 – Winter Break
January 13 – MLK weekend (no rehearsal)
February 7 – Performance at 7:30 at MacPhail (call time 6:30)
February 16 – Performance at MMEA
March 9 – SAM Graduation
March 10 – School Partnership Recital
May 2 – Music Matters
July 31 – August 4 – MI Retreat
August 6 – National Night Out
Email Chi-Chi Bestmann