MacPhail Northside Youth Orchestra (MNYO)
A tuition-free symphonic orchestra program in North Minneapolis
We believe in the transformational power of music, and strive to create a welcoming space that encourages musical growth and development.
Welcome to MNYO!!! We are looking forward to seeing old friends and hoping to meet new ones! We had a blast of a summer and can’t wait to share all the wonderful events that will be happening THIS year! The audition for the fall semester is on Sat. Oct 1st (1~2:30pm). Please sign up by contacting Chi-Chi Bestmann, our conductor at Bestmann.Chichi@macpahil.org. Please check the Audition Requirements for what to prepare. Our very 1st rehearsal will be on Sat. Oct 8th (from 1~3pm). Can’t wait to see you all!!
- Two (one octave) scales of your choice or One (two octave) scale of your choice.
- One piece (2~3 mins) that you are currently working on or have worked on over the summer.
- There may be a short sight-reading piece.
- Percussionist(s): please discuss with your teacher and play what’s recommended by your teacher.
- Submit the Registration Form
Email Chi-Chi Bestmann with questions.
The Pre-requisites for MNYO
- Students must be entering grades 7-12 and have at least 1 year of previous experience playing their instrument (either in individual lessons or in a school program).
- Students should also have access to an instrument (permission from school to bring their instrument to rehearsals and for home practice).
- Students must audition on one of the following instruments: Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon, Trumpet, French Horn, Trombone, Tuba, Percussion, Violin, Viola, Cello or Double Bass.
What to Expect
- Students in our ensemble range from mid-beginner to late-intermediate level. We encourage mentoring friendship amongst our orchestra members.
- Students should plan on attending rehearsals weekly and taking their music home for additional practice
- Most rehearsals will include a full orchestra rehearsal, sectionals, bucket drumming and other enrichment activities, including guest artist visits from the Minnesota Orchestra
- MNYO performs 3-6 times in a school year, mostly between January-May.
Photos by Steve Cohen of MPR, used with permission
MNYO Calendar 2022-23
October 1 – Auditions
October 22 – MEA (no rehearsal)
December 24 – 31 – Winter Break
January 27 – Performance at 7:30 at MacPhail (call time 6:30)
March 11 – SAM graduation, no rehearsal
March 12 – SP Recital at MacPhail
April 3-7 – Spring Break
May 4 – Music Matters Luncheon
July 26-30 – Madeline Island Retreat
August 1 – National Night Out
Email Chi-Chi Bestmann