Foundations, Corporations, & Government Giving
MacPhail is grateful to the foundations, corporations, and government sources that generously support our mission. These donors share our belief in the importance of music education for students of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities across Minnesota.
Since 1907, MacPhail has responded to the changing artistic needs of the state of Minnesota. In 2021, we will serve 15,000 participants through the following core programs, each of which receives dedicated support from our corporate, foundation and government donors:
- Sing Play Learn with MacPhail® (infant-8 yrs.): Arts-integrated programming that helps children develop executive function, social-emotional, cognitive, and creative skills. Sing Play Learn serves 5,060 children and partners with 24 community organizations.
- Personalized Music Instruction (3 yrs.-adult): Through individual lessons, group classes, and the Suzuki Talent Education Program, MacPhail provides personalized music instruction to 3,960 students.
- Music Therapy (all ages): Through the clinical and evidence-based use of music, board-certified music therapists address the physical, emotional, cognitive, and social needs of individuals. MacPhail provides these services in the form of 1:1 sessions and groups, serving 475 clients and partnering with 10 community organizations annually.
- School Partnerships (K-12): MacPhail partners with K-12 schools in Minnesota by providing excellent music education support and resources, utilizing highly qualified faculty, relevant programs, and integrated learning technology in person and live online. School Partnerships serves approximately 3,160 students yearly.
- MacPhail Music for Life™ (adults 55+): A music program designed for adults 55+ and taught by teachers experienced in working with older adults, including those with memory loss. Through classes and 33 community partnerships in locations where they live or gather, Music for Life reaches 2,150 older adults yearly.
- Madeline Island Chamber Music (ages 14-28): A 6-week summer music camp located on verdant Madeline Island, WI serving 73 high school, college, and graduate level students annually, educating and nurturing the next generation of musicians through concentrated study and performance of chamber music.
Our Geographic Reach
MacPhail is among the largest community music schools in the nation and the largest employer of teaching musicians in Minnesota. In addition to our flagship location in Minneapolis, we operate sites in Apple Valley, Austin, Chanhassen, and White Bear Lake, each with programming uniquely suited to the needs of its respective community. In September 2020, we completed a full merger with Madeline Island Chamber Music, a nonprofit organization devoted to educating and nurturing the next generation of musicians through concentrated study and performance of chamber music on historic Madeline Island in Wisconsin. Since 2011, we have also partnered with schools throughout Greater Minnesota through our Online School Partnerships programming, which has offered music education for rural and/or low-income/marginalized pre-K through 12th grade students via accessible, innovative, and cost-effective online learning experiences.
Thank you to our corporate, foundation, and government partners listed below for their generous support.
$10,000 and above
Carlson Family Foundation
George Family Foundation
Margaret A. Cargill Philanthropies
Minnesota State Arts Board
Otto Bremer Trust
Patrick & Aimee Butler Foundation
RBC Wealth Management
Richard M. Schulze Family Foundation
Seachange Capital Partners
The McKnight Foundation
Anna M. Heilmaier Foundation
Art & Martha Kaemmer Fund of the HRK Foundation
Associated Chamber Music Players (ACMP)
Dorsey & Whitney
Elizabeth C. Quinlan Foundation
Kids Out and About
Minnetonka Rotary Club Foundation
Mortenson Family Foundation
National Flute Association