Free Live Streamed Music Classes for Students K-12
Registration Opens October 12. Check back for fall offerings and descriptions.
Live, Online Music Education Designed Specially for K-12 Students Offered at No Cost for Families
Originally developed in response to the switch from in-person to online eLearning, MacPhail Center for Music School Partnerships is pleased to continue providing custom designed online music instruction for students studying at home.
The program also provides resources for music educators and parents to assist with online and distance music education.
MacPhail K-12@Home is offered at NO CHARGE to students currently enrolled in Minnesota schools thanks to generous funding from the Otto Bremer Trust and other individual donors.
What is MacPhail K-12@Home Program?
- MacPhail faculty use specially designed curriculum and teaching materials to lead students through fun, engaging explorations of music.
- Classes reflect a wide range of styles, genres and cultures that build on a student’s own creativity and artistry.
- MacPhail’s school partnership faculty share a decade’s worth of experience teaching music live online. A wide range of resources assists music educators or parents new to live online music education and distance learning.
- Resources are provided for educators working with students who do not have or have limited access to the internet.
What classes are available through MacPhail K-12@Home?
- Mindfulness and Music: Created in response to heightened stress and anxiety due to the dramatic changes brought about by COVID-19. These sessions provide calming, self-regulatory activities. Facilitated by board-certified music therapist. Students engaged in creative music-based mindfulness, movement, and breathing exercises, and learn self-regulation tools to use throughout their day.
- General Music: Creative, engaging, sequential based curriculum, that meets Minnesota state and national standards.
- How-To’s: Specialized how-to topics, including proper warmups, tone production, playing by ear, increasing your range, practicing in different living situations, and much more.
- Virtual Boot Camp: Take your playing to the next level. Includes band, orchestral, jazz instruments, voice, and beat boxing. Intensive sessions with focus on musical and technical skills.
- Professional Development Sessions for Music Educators
Who is eligible for MacPhail K-12@Home Classes?
Children and Youth grades K through 12 currently enrolled in Minnesota schools. (Some classes may require prior music learning & expertise.)
Music educators or parents homeschooling during shelter in place.
What do you need to participate in a class?
Students will need a computer (desktop, Chromebook, laptop, iPad, smart phone) and a reliable internet connection.
*Please see eLearning resource list for resources and ideas for students without internet access.
How do I sign up?
1 – Review course descriptions
2 – Register and complete information: Please note that registrations close the day before the class is scheduled.
3 – A Zoom link will be sent to the email address used for registration the day before your scheduled class. (Late registrations may be able to be accommodated based on availability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you miss your registration.)
4 – All you need to do at the designated class time is click on the link (Make sure to do this a few minutes ahead of each class. The first time you use zoom, allow extra time.)
5 – You may register for as many classes as you wish, new classes are offered each week. Check back often.
*Please note that registration closes the day before each class AT NOON to give teachers time to prepare their curriculum and for student services to email class links to participants.
**Missed the registration deadline? Please contact Roque Diaz, Director of School Partnerships at email@example.com, accommodations may be made for late registrations based on availability.